Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pumped for PAX Spotlight (sort of): Freezepop!

Well, my actual website is now fully operational. I assure you, it is quite deadly. A lot of the content from this blog has been copied over there already, not sure if I'll move the rest or not.


Right now we have a couple of articles, weekly columns, bi weekly webcomic. Soon we'll have some videos up there too. So go there... go there now. Add it to your favorites. Share with your friends.

Please... I beg of you. For the love of all that is good, visit my site. Now back to the old and out of date blog you've somehow found:

This is a little bit of a cop-out post, I’ll admit it. To make matters worse, it’s only PAX related in the loosest possible sense (and by that I mean, not technically PAX related at all). I’m also sorry that I’ve now done two music related posts in a row.

But I still think it’s important, and when I found out about it, I got super pumped, and since the underlying theme here is getting pumped for PAX, I felt this qualified today’s topic.

Freezepop is playing PAX East! Not really. But they are playing across the street! For 10$! Buy tickets now!

I have to admit I was a little disappointed that Freezepop wasn’t playing at the first edition of PAX East. It seemed like such an obvious fit. They make synth-pop music that appeals to a lot of gamers, their music is featured in a bunch of video games, they’ve played PAX Prime in the past, and to top it off, they’re even from Boston! You’d think that’d be a big enough to get them a gig at PAX East, but I guess not. Don’t know what went on there, maybe they wanted more cash? Maybe it was a snub? Maybe Freezepop were jerks or something backstage? Maybe the PA guys were jerks or something backstage? The band has apparently said that everything was cool and it was just a rotational thing, which I hope is true, my little brain can’t stand it when artists that I like don’t like each other.

If you’re not familiar with the band, they’re worth checking out (check out the “fun” section of the website, there’s a link to most of their videos there). In fact, you may come to realize that you’re already familiar with them.

Their music has been in a number of Harmonix games like Frequency, Amplitude and bigger titles like Guitar Hero I and II and Rock Band. By the way, if you haven’t played Frequency and/or Amplitude (they’re more or less the same game with different songs) you’re missing out on seeing the humble birth of rhythm games like GH and RockBand. To be fair though, Freezepop cheated; one of their members was a sound designer at Harmonix. This probably helped get their music in games. Just saying. Probably.

Anyways, I got my tickets and will be journeying out across the street on Saturday to catch Freezepop play.

No comments:

Post a Comment