Thursday, November 18, 2010

Imaginationland

Well, my actual website is now fully operational. I assure you, it is quite deadly. A lot of the content from this blog has been copied over there already, not sure if I'll move the rest or not.


Right now we have a couple of articles, weekly columns, bi weekly webcomic. Soon we'll have some videos up there too. So go there... go there now. Add it to your favorites. Share with your friends.

Please... I beg of you. For the love of all that is good, visit my site. Now back to the old and out of date blog you've somehow found:


So I was having a conversation with a few of my colleagues about whether or not it was fair to lie to your children and tell them that Santa Claus, the toothfairy, and the Easter Bunny exist. The results were pretty much astounding since people who are staunchly opposed to religion would still instill their kids with a form of faith (in a jolly fat man or giant rabit, both of whom seem to break into your house and reward you based on your deeds). They're like low-rent Jesus replacements.


The worst (in my opinion) was that they said that it was so their children could have a sense of wonder in the world, a belief that there was more to life than there really was. Which is an even harder pill to swallow. Teaching your kids about religion when you believe in it is one thing, misleading your kids so you can confuse them about what is real and what isn't is another.
I find it a very strange line. One of the guys involved in the discussion was like "before I had kids I thought it was wrong to lie to them about the holiday mascots, but now I think I'll do it". Because it makes you feel good to see your child being an idiot and believing in something you don't even believe in? Where's the logic?


Anyways, one of their counterpoints was that I was raised without these things and now as an adult I still have an overactive imagination.


I took that as a compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment